Petition Challenge Continues to go Susana Mendoza’s Way

Campaign Press Release Susana A. Mendoza
Susana Mendoza for Mayor Announces Campaign Manager Nicole DeMont
diciembre 6, 2018
Campaign Press Release Susana A. Mendoza
Press Statement: Susana Mendoza Calls on Toni Preckwinkle to Drop Petition Challenges on Four Other Women of Color
diciembre 17, 2018

Petition Challenge Continues to go Susana Mendoza’s Way

Campaign Press Release Susana A. Mendoza

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, December 16, 2018

CONTACT:
Rebecca Evans | press@susanamendoza.com
(312) 888-1983

Petition Challenge Continues to go Susana Mendoza’s Way

Toni Preckwinkle withdraws bogus challenges on missing and duplicate petition pages and withdraws errors in their challenge to the “first to sign petition” issue today, on top of last week’s defeat on false pattern of fraud accusations

CHICAGO, IL – The petition challenge process against Susana Mendoza continues to trend in her favor as recent rulings from the Hearing Officer for the Chicago Electoral Board have now gone in her favor.

At a hearing on Sunday with the Hearing Officer for the Electoral Board, Mendoza’s team successfully narrowed the objections Toni Preckwinkle launched at Mendoza in two areas: both on faulty challenges on individual signatures on the “first to sign petition” issue and on unsubstantiated objections to missing and duplicate petition and on unsubstantiated objections to missing and duplicate petition pages. This builds on Mendoza’s win last Friday when the Hearing Officer threw out Preckwinkle’s insufficient claims about a pattern of fraud.

During the Sunday hearing, Preckwinkle’s team withdrew multiple deficiencies in their challenges.

“Today’s hearings showed that not only did Toni Preckwinkle’s team withdraw signature errors in their objections, but they also withdrew objections about missing and duplicate pages,” said Anthony Jacob, Mendoza’s attorney during the petition challenge. “This challenge has been rife with errors. We’re moving forward with the records exam and we’re confident that Ms. Mendoza will be on the ballot as a candidate for mayor.”

The Electoral Board will continue to proceed with the records examination which is on track to show she has more than enough signatures to get on the ballot and there will be a status hearing at 2 p.m. on Thursday..

Mendoza has said that while Preckwinkle has attempted to claim the progressive mantle in the race for mayor, her bogus petition challenge in the era of Trump and year of the woman is an attack on the democratic process. This is why Mendoza has called on Preckwinkle to give up her petition challenge to the four other women of color in this race. Those petition challenges, coupled with Preckwinkle’s cover-up of sexual harassment in her office and support of regressive taxes that place an even greater burden on Chicago families, are far more indicative of actions in her role as the boss of the party bosses than a progressive leader.

###


View and download the PDF version of this release here.

Stay up to date

Sign up to be a part of Team Susana today! You will receive notifications on activities, announcements and more.

Español